Nykaa is an Indian e-commerce platform that specializes in beauty and wellness products. Founded in 2012 by Falguni Nayar, a former investment banker, the company has become one of the largest players in the Indian beauty industry. In 2018, Nykaa aunched its own private label line of products, which included makeup, skincare, and haircare. The company’s decision to enter the private label space was driven by the desire to provide customers with high-quality products at affordable prices. The move paid off, as Nykaa’s private label products became a hit with customers. By 2020, the company had over 2.5 million customers, and its private label products accounted for more than 30% of its revenue. In addition to its e-commerce platform, Nykaa has also established a strong offline presence. The company has over 80 brick-and-mortar stores across India, including in major cities such as Mumbai, Delhi, and Bangalore. The stores are designed
to provide customers with a seamless shopping experience, with a range of products and services on offer, including makeovers, hair and skincare consultations, and product demonstrations. Nykaa has also been quick to embrace the latest trends in the beauty industry. In 2020, the company launched an augmented reality feature on its mobile app, which allows customers to try on makeup virtually before making a purchase. Despite the challenges posed by the COVID-19 pandemic, Nykaa has continued to grow. In 2020, the company raised $13.6 million in funding from a group of investors, including Stead view Capital and Singapore’s sovereign wealth fund GIC. The funds were used to support the company’s growth plans, which include expanding its product range and further strengthening its offline presence. Overall, Nykaa’s success can be attributed to its focus on providing high-quality products at affordable prices, its strong offline
presence, and its willingness to embrace the latest trends and technologies in the beauty industry. Nykaa wants to expand in food delivery. You have to conduct research for Nykaa.
a. Develop a questionnaire to survey the consumer and collect their response on what factors might be responsible for consumer’s interest in online food buying.
Questionnaire: Factors Influencing Consumer’s Interest in Online Food Buying
Note: This questionnaire aims to gather information about the factors that influence consumers’ interest in online food buying. Please answer the following questions based on your experiences and preferences. Your responses will remain confidential and will be used for research purposes only.
d. Monthly Income:
Online Food Buying Experience:
a. Have you ever purchased food online?
b. If yes, how frequently do you buy food online?
Very frequently (multiple times a week)
Frequently (once a week)
Occasionally (once a month)
Rarely (a few times a year)
Factors influencing your interest in online food buying:
Please rate the following factors on a scale of 1 to 5, where 1 represents “Not Important” and 5 represents “Very Important.”
a. Convenience (ordering food from the comfort of your home):
b. Time-saving (avoiding travel and waiting times):
c. Variety of food options available online:
d. Competitive pricing compared to offline food options:
e. Quality and freshness of food delivered:
f. Trustworthiness and reliability of online food platforms:
g. Discounts and offers available for online food purchases:
h. Ease of comparing different food options and prices:
i. User reviews and ratings for food and delivery services:
j. Availability of customized dietary options (e.g., vegan, gluten-free):
k. Availability of contactless delivery options:
l. Integration with online payment platforms for easy transactions:
Influential Factors in Decision-Making:
a. Which of the following factors influence your decision to choose online food buying over traditional offline options? (Select all that apply)
Price and affordability
Variety and options available
Quality and freshness of food
Trustworthiness and reliability
Discounts and offers
User reviews and ratings
Customized dietary options
Contactless delivery options
Integration with online payment platforms
Other (please specify):
Challenges or Concerns with Online Food Buying:
a. What are the main challenges or concerns you have experienced or considered with online food buying? (Open-ended)
a. Is there anything else you would like to share about your experiences or preferences regarding online food buying? (Open-ended)
Thank you for taking the time to complete this questionnaire. Your input is valuable and will contribute to the research on consumer behavior in online food buying.
b. Assume you have to conduct an interview. Who will be ideal respondent for the interview? How will you approach them?
For conducting an interview on the topic of online food buying, an ideal respondent would be a frequent user of online food platforms, someone who has significant experience and insights into the subject matter. Here is an approach to identify and approach potential interview respondents:
- Target Audience: Identify individuals who meet the criteria of being frequent users of online food platforms. This can be done through various means such as online food buying forums, social media food groups, or by reaching out to food bloggers/influencers who discuss online food buying.
- Reach Out: Contact potential respondents through email or social media platforms, introducing yourself, the purpose of the interview, and the significance of their insights. Explain that you are conducting research on online food buying and would greatly appreciate their participation in an interview.
- Explain Interview Format: Clarify the format and duration of the interview, whether it will be conducted in person, over the phone, or via video call. Mention that their responses will be kept confidential and used for research purposes only.
- Offer Incentives: Consider offering a small incentive, such as a gift card or discount voucher for their favorite online food platform, as a token of appreciation for their time and input.
- Schedule the Interview: Once respondents express their interest, coordinate a mutually convenient time for the interview. Provide them with a few available time slots and allow them to choose the one that works best for them.
- Conduct the Interview: During the interview, ask open-ended questions to gather detailed insights and experiences related to online food buying. Encourage the respondent to elaborate on their responses and provide examples where applicable.
- Active Listening and Note-taking: Pay close attention to the respondent’s answers, take notes, and ask follow-up questions to gain a deeper understanding of their perspectives.
- Thank You and Follow-up: Express gratitude for their participation and insights at the end of the interview. Offer to share a summary of the key findings from the research if they are interested.
Remember to conduct interviews ethically, ensuring informed consent and respecting the privacy of the respondents. Additionally, it is crucial to maintain confidentiality and anonymize the data collected during the interview process.